Unable to run neo4j v4 casual cluster with docker-compose or docker swarm

Iv'e been trying to deploy a v4 casual cluster on my dev machine (ubuntu) but it never makes it past the join phase. Also, I have tested this on an arch linux machine and another ubuntu machine, so I know it's not just my machine. Iv'e been getting the following errors:

• Database 'system' is waiting for a total of 3 core members...
  • Clustering components for database 'system' have encountered a critical error Encountered error when attempting to reconcile database system from state 'EnterpriseDatabaseState{databaseId=DatabaseId{name='system', databaseId=DatabaseIdWithoutName{uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}}, operatorState=STOPPED, failed=false}' to state 'online'

When checking debug.log I see this error repeated hundreds of times:
WARN [a.r.a.InboundHandshake$$anon$2] Dropping Handshake Request from [akka://cc-discovery-actor-system@65436ef85782:5000#-5597672656914033240] addressed to unknown local address [akka://cc-discovery-actor-system@core1:5000]. Local address is [akka://cc-discovery-actor-system@28db646210ca:5000]. Check that the sending system uses the same address to contact recipient system as defined in the 'akka.remote.artery.canonical.hostname' of the recipient system. The name of the ActorSystem must also match.

I have used the example from the documentation to deploy a v4 casual cluster

I also converted this into a docker-compose file which can be found here.

I'm not sure where to go from here, so any help is much appreciated!

Hi,

you might have a look at my example compose files:

as a starting point.

Bert

Greetings Eric,

There's an error (ticketed but not resolved yet) in the documentation ... We're using another (better) cluster coordinator in 4.0 and that requires a slightly different setup. For docker you can resolve it by adding a --hostname in every statement. So if you have a --name core1, you add (keep the name one too) a --hostname core1 as well.

Regards,
Tom

1 Like

Hello Tom,

I have the same problem with kubernetes: what is the solution ?

best regards
Eric

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I'm facing the same issue.

I used k8s and this chart specifically https://github.com/helm/charts/pull/20942.

When I change the following env variable from

export NEO4J_dbms_default__advertised__address=$(hostname -f)

to

export NEO4J_dbms_default__advertised__address=$(hostname -I | awk '{print $1}')

It works. The cluster members discover themselves.